Sunday, July 21, 2013

10 Things I've Learned from Teaching

Tonight I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten. I had a chance to do some reflecting with this post and I think it's helped me to get even more mentally prepared for school to start. The Hubs is an elementary administrator. After I shared my list with him, he was so impressed by the linky topic he may use it with his staff!!


1.  Expect the unexpected.  No matter how prepared you "think" you are, you just never know what will happen--good or bad!  Lol!

2.  Every August you get a chance to do it better.  I always teach like it's my first year because I'm always looking to be better than I was the year before. Hence, my blog name "Growing a Teacher."

3.  Negativity is poison and it spreads. I try to avoid "Negative Nellies" because I don't like how their attitude rubs off on me and brings down my day. 

4.  There is no one strategy that works for every child.  I once heard a young teacher say she knew what works and wanted her new teammate to do it her way. Wow!  Dangerous words for sure. 

5.  Laugh at yourself in front of your students.  It makes you human in their eyes and gives them freedom to make mistakes. Plus, it's a lot more fun!

6.  Building a classroom family atmosphere is essential. I try to emphasize this from the get go.

7.  Keep an open mind. About kids, parents, peers, new initiatives, etc. 

8.  Make your students feel important and let them know you care about them. 

9.  Ask for help. It's a sign of strength not weakness. 

10. The journey isn't always easy, but it's so worth it!

What have you learned from teaching?

7 comments:

  1. I popped over to visit you from the linky and am your newest follower. I completely agree with your #10 - that's why we come back year after year. :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I tried to think of something but I think that you have covered all areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog! It is adorable. This is a great post. Yes- to avoiding those Negative Nellies! I call them "Eeyores" in my head. :) Oh my they suck the life out of you!
    I'd love you to stop over to my blog if you get a chance! I'm your newest follower!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands & Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I'm a new follower! I also agree to stay away from negative people and gossip! I hope you'll stop by my blog and read my top ten for a good giggle1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all ten of these! They are all so true no matter what grade you teach. I'm now your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love this!! I agree wholeheartly with these. This is my third year teaching at a preschool and what you posted here is exactly what I believe in as well. Number 1, 2 , 4, 5, 8, 9 and especially 10 are very true in my experiences. Some days are harder than others especially since I work with young children but the journey and experience is all worth it. Thank you so much for posting this! Would you mind I feature this on my blog? Ill put a link to your blog this is what every teacher should do. :) thanks once again!!!

    Confessionsofamontessorian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It's hard to pick a favorite, but #8 determines how your year and their year will go. I teach high school, and all of the same tenets apply. Good luck on a brand new year, and thanks for reminding us that we must all continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete